Re: the Protestant Claim of
the Bible as the Sole Rule of Faith, Voting as
Catholics and Medjugorje Exposed
September 24, 2008
Our Lady of Ransom
Dear Friend of Our Lady,
Enclosed is a booklet recently printed for you and our other volunteers. The title of the booklet, Bible: The Sole Rule of Faith? is part of a talk given by Catholic Family News editor John Vennari at the August 2007 Fatima: Only Way to World Peace Conference in Brazil. The title of the talk is “Why the Mass Exodus to Protestantism”.
An edited transcript of Mr. Vennari’s talk was published in issue number 87 of The Fatima Crusader. If you have not read the entire transcript published in The Fatima Crusader, please do so, it is worth reading.
This particular portion of the transcript, under the subheading “Bible: The Sole Rule of Faith?”, was selected as very helpful for Catholics who find themselves having to defend the faith to non-Catholics and to Catholics who are being misled into non-Catholic thinking.
As you know, our Catholic Faith is based on Scripture and Tradition. But Protestants generally look only at Scripture. It is quite likely you have been asked the question at some point by a Protestant, ‘Where does it say that in the Bible?’ As far as many Protestants are concerned, if it is not in the Bible then it cannot be.
Unfortunately today, with the errors that are infiltrating into the Church, there are now many Catholics saying the same thing. That is because they do not know the Catholic Faith. This booklet provides the ammunition needed when confronted by that erroneous statement or statements similar to it.
The booklet is also helpful for trying to help a Protestant to convert back to Truth. By “convert back” I am referring to the fact that the ancestors of many Protestants were Catholic, since that was the only form of Christianity for 1500 years after Our Lord was here on earth; until Martin Luther (early half of the 16th Century) came along and led millions down the wrong path over the centuries — right up until the present day.
Of course, there is also the role of King Henry VIII in that same time in history, who was instrumental in leading Catholics into the heretical Anglican ‘Church’.
Prior to these two men, a person who called himself a Christian meant only one thing — Catholic. All the others: Lutherans, Anglicans, Presbyterians, Baptists, Episcopalians, Adventists, Pentecostals, etc., did not exist. They were not started by Jesus Christ but rather by men who protested the teachings of Christ given to His one true Church, the Catholic Church.
If Catholics today were truly aware of the cruelties inflicted on Catholics by some of the early Protestants known as ‘protestant reformers’, if they were aware of the martyrdom that many Catholics endured (at the hands of Protestants) defending the one true Church of Jesus Christ in the British Isles during the Protestant “Reformation” of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries, they would know that these heretical belief systems cannot possibly be the true Church of Jesus Christ.
Yet today, because of ignorance of the Catholic Faith, many Catholics do not understand the significance of their words when they make heretical statements such as, “we’re all the same.”
Even worse, is when a Catholic denies the infallible definition (which we must believe to remain in the Church) of “Outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation”, because they refuse to accept the truth that unless their Protestant friend converts to the Catholic Faith, he cannot be saved.
If many of the Protestants today knew the atrocities inflicted on Catholics by some of their ancestors, if they understood that some of their ancestors may have publicly accepted Protestantism solely because of fear of the tortures they would endure had they not renounced the Catholic Faith, they would understand that something is wrong with their belief system. We must pray for the conversion of Protestants and all non-Catholics.
I confess my own ignorance of the sufferings the Catholics of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries endured in England until just a few years ago. Up until then, the extent of my knowledge was Sir Thomas More being beheaded during the reign of Henry VIII.
The truth is, that just as the early Christians (from the time of the apostles to around the 4th Century) endured such sufferings as being thrown to the lions as food; stretched on racks; eyeballs, tongues and other body parts being ripped out while they were still very much alive because they refused to renounce their Catholic Faith and worship pagan gods; likewise, Catholics during the Protestant Reformation endured horrible tortures for not renouncing their Catholic Faith and professing heretical Protestant beliefs.
Here is an excerpt of what was endured taken from the book, Martyrs of the Reformation by Dr. Malcolm Brennan:
- “St. John Houghton’s last words as he was about to be hanged were: ‘Our holy Mother the Church has decreed otherwise than the king and Parliament have decreed, and therefore, rather than disobey the Church, we are ready to suffer.’ Then he was hanged. Tyburn’s notorious ‘triple tree’ consisted of three upright posts joined in a triangle by three beams, an arrangement that permitted the hanging of fifteen or twenty victims at one time. The modern method of hanging allows for the body to drop for a distance so that death is inflicted instantaneously. At Tyburn the victim was stood in a cart, the rope fastened around his neck, the slack removed from it, and the cart rolled out from under him...to leave him dangling. He might dangle for a considerable time...then he would die of asphyxia. But ‘traitors’ (referring to Catholics who would not renounce their Catholic Faith) were not entitled to die by hanging, and so St. John Houghton was taken down and allowed to recover his senses. Then he was eviscerated (organs cut out of his body). This, too, can be done so as not to cause immediate death....Next the body was decapitated and quartered. St. John Houghton’s head was displayed on a pike on London Bridge, and his other parts at other populous places; one quarter (of his body), with an arm, was hung over the gate.... And he became food for birds.” (Items in parentheses added.)
Our Catholic Faith demands that we defend the Faith and lead misguided Catholics back to the true teachings of the Church. We also need to help Protestants and other non-Catholics convert to the one True Faith.
We can do this first by our prayers (especially the Rosary) and sacrifices, as well as the Five First Saturday Communion of Reparation — all of which Our Lady of Fatima asked us to do.
Second, we can help by studying our Faith and reading articles, such as the booklet Bible: The Sole Rule of Faith? contains, to help cement our own understanding and be able to present a clear picture when confronted by those who are misguided.
For copies of this booklet, call us at 1-800-845-3047.
Residents of Ontario, Canada Beware!
Residents of the Province of Ontario should be aware that it was reported in the September 12, 2008 edition of The Fort Erie Post / Niagara This Week, that Niagara Centre MPP Peter Kormos is pushing to change Ontario’s organ donation laws. “Kormos has been pushing for existing legislation to be changed to what’s known as ‘presumed consent’, in which doctors will assume someone dying will want their organs to be donated unless they specify they don’t want them donated”.
Please don’t be fooled into thinking that organ donation is a good thing. In order to take someone’s organs (unless it is a healthy person donating one of his two healthy kidneys to a family member) you have to prematurely end that person’s life. That is, you have to kill the person donating his organs. Plain and simple, that is murder and it is playing God.
Without getting into too much detail, the term frequently used by doctors and health care workers for taking organs donated is “harvesting organs”. Most of us think of the term harvest with regard to crops grown on a farm and ready to be picked or reaped to take to market.
Just as the farmer hopes to make money from the sale of his crops, likewise, “harvesting organs” from human beings is a big money-making business. Based on this information, I will leave you to form your own conclusions. Generally speaking, when there is big money to be made, many processes are accelerated to make it happen quickly.
Please fight against such laws as MPP Kormos is proposing. Write to your MPP and tell him you don’t want this law. If this law passes, to protect yourself you must make it very clear in a legally-witnessed document that you do not wish to donate your organs.
Medjugorje Exposed by Pope Benedict XVI
It was reported in The London Daily Mail on September 3, 2008, that Pope Benedict XVI has “begun a crackdown on the world’s largest illicit Catholic shrine — by suspending the priest at the centre of claims that the Virgin Mary has appeared more than 40,000 times”.
The article further states that “Benedict XVI has authorised ‘severe cautionary and disciplinary measures’ against Father Tomislav Vlasic, the former ‘spiritual director’ to six children who said Our Lady was appearing to them at Medjugorje in Bosnia.
“The Franciscan priest has been suspended after he refused to cooperate (with investigations) into claims of scandalous... (since it is a priest I would rather not print certain parts). (Content in parenthesis added.)
“He has also been accused of ‘the diffusion of dubious doctrine, manipulation of consciences,... and disobedience towards legitimately issued orders’, and is suspected of heresy and schism.”
Here are some other excerpts from the article:
- “Medjugorje has grown to become the most visited unauthorised Catholic shrine in the world... The local bishops are convinced the claims (regarding the apparitions) are bogus and in 2006 complained directly to Pope Benedict... (Content in parenthesis added.)
- “This led to a Vatican investigation which turned the spotlight on the role of Father Vlasic...
- “The decree confirming his suspension was signed with the Pope’s approval by Cardinal William Levada, head of CDF, and Father Jose Carballo, the Minister General of the Franciscan Minor Order...”
The article in the London Daily Mail also relayed restrictions placed on Father Vlasic in the decree issued by the Vatican, the violation of which would result in the excommunication of Father Vlasic.
Here are more excerpts of the article in the London Daily Mail:
- “Father Vlasic is the second spiritual adviser to the seers to be suspended from his ministry. The other, Father Jozo Zovko, was suspended by Bishop Peric in 2004....
- “Earlier this year, Italian Bishop Andrea Gemma denounced the Medjugorje claims as the ‘work of the demon’ and predicted that ‘soon the Vatican will intervene with something explosive to unmask once and for all who is behind this deceit’....
- “Three Church commissions failed to find evidence to support their claims (the six child seers) and the bishops of the former Yugoslavia finally declared that ‘it cannot be affirmed that these matters concern supernatural apparitions or revelations’... (Content in parenthesis added.)
- “In 1985 Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger — now Pope Benedict — banned pilgrimages to the site, but this has been widely ignored....”
The Vatican’s declaration may be disappointing for some. Catholics must remember that the Church has generally discouraged pilgrimages to places where it was reported that apparitions were occurring, until such time as the apparitions were thoroughly investigated and determined to be worthy of belief.
This is to protect the faithful, at least in part, from being exposed to heresy and error, and being led astray. We must pray for the two suspended priests and for those Catholics who may be tempted to ignore the ruling of the Pope and Vatican officials on Medjugorje.
In the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts,