Because I want My whole Church to recognize that consecration as a triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary so that later on My Church will place devotion to My Mothers Immaculate Heart beside devotion to My Sacred Heart.
... Jesus to Sister Lucy
Basis for Devotion to
The Sacred Heart of Jesus
Many Popes recommend this devotion to us:
Pope Pius XII Those Heavenly blessings which devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus pours into the souls of the Faithful, purifying them, refreshing them with Heavenly consolation and urging them to acquire all virtues, cannot be counted.
Pope Pius XII The Church has always held devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in such regard and continues to esteem it so greatly that She strives to have this devotion flourish throughout the world and to promote it in every way.
Pope Leo XIII called devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus a most excellent form of religion ... This devotion which we recommend to all will be profitable to all.
Pope Leo XIII In the Sacred Heart there is the symbol and the express image of the Infinite Love of Jesus Christ which moves us to love in return.
Pope Pius XII His Heart is the natural sign and symbol of His boundless love for the human race.
Pope St. Gregory the Great (604 AD) said, Learn of the Heart of God in the words of God so that you may ardently long for eternal things.
Pope St. Pius X recommended this devotion, as did Pope Pius XI and Blessed Pope Pius IX.
Many Saints recommend this devotion to us:
The example of the saints is at the same time a powerful motive to urge us to the practice of a devotion which they, themselves, practiced. Their example is a reliable guide to show us how to practice it.
Space does not allow us to note all the saints who promoted devotion to the Sacred Heart; who lived it and felt its Sacred impulse to love Jesus more ardently. Let us recall the doctrine and example of the saints.
St. Gertrude the Great (1256-1302) composed this prayer exemplifying her love: I salute Thee O Sacred Heart of Jesus, living and vivifying source of eternal life, Infinite Treasury of the Divinity, Ardent Furnace of Divine Love ...
St. Catherine of Siena loved this devotion (to the Sacred Heart of Jesus) to an extraordinary degree; she made an entire donation of her heart to her Divine Spouse and she obtained the Heart of Jesus in exchange.
St. Francis of Assisi, St. Thomas, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Bonaventure, St. Ignatius Loyola, St. Francis Xavier, St. Philip Neri, St. Francis de Sales, St. Aloysius Gonzaga those who have read the lives and works of the saints will be able to see the tender devotion, admiration and adoration these saints had for the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
But above all, let us remember the life and the revelations of the Sacred Heart to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque at Paray-Le-Monial. She received, among other things, the following 12 Promises from the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Regarding the basis for devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, see "Basis for Devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary" later on in this booklet and following.
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their families.
- I will bless every house in which the picture of My Heart shall be exposed and honored.
- I will console them in all their difficulties.
- I will be their refuge during life and especially at the hour of death.
- I will shed abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart a fountain and boundless ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise speedily to great perfection.
- I will give to priests the power of touching the hardest hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart never to be blotted out.
- I promise thee, in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that My all-powerful love will grant to all who communicate on the first Friday of the month for nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My displeasure nor without their sacraments: My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.